Sunday, March 14, 2010

9 Lives, William Dalrymple


An ode to Krishna;

From the copper plates locked in a room in Tirupathi for centuries. Translated to English by poet A.K. Ramanujan.


You are handsome, aren’t you,
Adivaraha,
And quite skilled at it, too.

Stop these foolish games.
You hink there are no other men in these parts?
Asking for me on credit,
Adivaraha?
I told you even then
I won’t stand for your lies.
 

Handsome, aren’t you?

Prince of playboys, you may be,
But is it fair
To ask me to forget the money?
I earned it, after all,
By spending time with you.
Stop this trickery at once.
Put up the gold you owe me
And then you can talk
Avidaraha.
 
Handsome, aren’t you?

Young man:
Why are you trying to talk big,
As if you were Muvva Gopala?
You can make love like no one else,
But just don’t make promises
You can’t keep.
Pay up,
It’s wrong to break your word.

Handsome, aren’t you?

No comments: